Powell, Hahn and Fitzgerald Awarded Philadelphia Big 5 Player of the Week Honors
Jan. 9, 2017
Men’s Players of the Week
The Philadelphia Big 5 honored Pookie Powell (So., G) of La Salle as the Big 5 Men’s Player of the Week. Powell averaged 14.5 points, 6.5 assists, 5.0 rebounds and 2.5 steals per game to help the Explorers go 2-0 on the week. The sophomore turned the ball over just once in 61 minutes of action, and he is second in the nation with a 4.7 assist-to-turnover ratio.
Men’s Honor Roll
- Darnell Foreman (Jr., G) scored 17 points off the bench for Penn in a close loss to Princeton in the Ivy League opener for both teams. Foreman scored 11 of his points in the second half to help the Quakers climb back from a 21-point deficit to tie the game. He added seven rebounds, tying a season high, and three assists.
- James Demery (Jr., F) averaged 22.0 points and 7.0 rebounds while shooting 58.6 percent from the floor in a 1-1 week for Saint Joseph’s. Demery led all scorers with a career-high 27 points in a win at Fordham. He also contributed eight rebounds in the winning effort. Demery has led the Hawks in scoring during the past two games.
- Jalen Brunson averaged 19.5 points per game in a 1-1 week for Villanova. Brunson led all scorers with 23 points, shooting 9-of-16 from the floor in a loss to Butler. He followed that up with 16 points, five rebounds and four assists in a win against Marquette.
Women’s Player of the Week
The Philadelphia Big 5 honored Feyonda Fitzgerald (Sr., G) of Temple and Adrianna Hahn (So., G) of Villanova as the Big 5 Women’s Co-Players of the Week. This is the fourth time Fitzgerald has earned the award during the season. She helped the Owls go 2-0 on the week, as the team picked up wins against Kennesaw State and Tulane. Fitzgerald had a double-double in both games, averaging 18.5 points and 11.5 assists during the week. She scored 20 points and dished out a career-best 13 assists in the win against Tulane, who was receiving votes in the national poll. With the wins, Temple is now on a seven-game winning streak.
Adrianna Hahn led Villanova to a 2-0 week in conference play. The sophomore guard averaged 24.0 points per game, while shooting 58.0 percent from the floor and 47.0 percent behind the arc. Hahn scored a career-high 25 points in a 64-59 win at Providence on Sunday, shooting 9-of-13 from the floor with four rebounds.
Women’s Honor Roll
- Jasmine Alston (Sr., G) of La Salle had 12 points, nine assists and seven rebounds in the Explorers’ game against Duquesne. Alston played 34 minutes, shooting 6-of-7 from the floor with a block and two steals.
- Michelle Nwokedi (Jr., F) helped Penn defeat Princeton in the team’s Ivy League opener with a team-high 13 points and game-high 13 rebounds. Nwokedi also contributed eight points and four rebounds in a win against UC Riverside. She is averaging a double-double on the season with 15.5 points and 10.1 rebounds per game.
- Kristalyn Baisden (So., G) averaged 15.0 points per game in a 1-1 week for Saint Joseph’s. Baisden scored a career-best 18 points in an 81-50 win against UMass. Earlier in the week, she scored a team-high 12 points in a game at George Washington.
- Tanaya Atkinson (Jr., G) averaged 19.0 points and 10.0 rebounds, while shooting 68.2 percent from the floor in a 2-0 week for Temple. Atkinson recorded a double-double against Kennesaw State with 17 points and 12 rebounds. She followed that performance with 21 points and eight rebounds in a win over Tulane.