Hart and Griffin Named Philadelphia Big 5 Players of the Week
Jan. 23, 2017
Men’s Player of the Week
The Philadelphia Big 5 honored Josh Hart (Sr., G) of Villanova as the Big 5 Men’s Player of the Week. Hart scored 25 points, while adding six rebounds and four assists to lead the Wildcats to a win over Providence on Saturday. Hart was 15-of-26 from the floor and averaged 18.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.5 assists during the week.
Men’s Honor Roll
- Matt Howard (Sr., F) had 19 points and a career-high 12 rebounds in Penn’s loss to Saint Joseph’s on Saturday. Howard now has two double-doubles on the season and four in his career.
- James Demery (Jr., F) averaged 17.0 points and 8.5 rebounds in a 1-1 week for Saint Joseph’s. Demery recorded his first career double-double with 19 points and 11 rebounds in a loss at UMass. He followed that up with 15 points and six rebounds in a Big 5 win over Penn.
- Shizz Alston Jr. (So., G) matched his career high of 25 points for the second straight game in an 81-71 loss at No. 20 Cincinnati. Alston was 9-of-15 from the floor and 5-of-10 from behind the arc with six assists and a career-high five steals.
Women’s Player of the Week
The Philadelphia Big 5 honored Amy Griffin (Jr., F) of La Salle as the Big 5 Women’s Player of the Week. Griffin averaged 24.0 points, 9.0 rebounds and 4.0 blocks to lead La Salle to a 2-0 week in Atlantic 10 Conference play. Griffin had a double-double at Davidson on Saturday, scoring 26 points while adding 11 rebounds. Earlier in the week, she had 22 points, seven rebounds and five blocks at Richmond. Griffin’s five blocks tied a career high. During the week, Griffin shot 19-of-32 (59.4%) from the floor and 8-of-10 (80%) from the free throw line.
Women’s Honor Roll
- Chelsea Woods (Jr., G/F) averaged 14 points and 10 rebounds per game as Saint Joseph’s went 1-1 during the week. Woods had 14 points and nine rebounds in a 47-44 win over Fordham on Wednesday. She followed that up with her third double-double of the season, tallying 14 points and 11 rebounds at Dayton.
- Donnaizha Fountain (Jr., G) averaged 21.0 points a game for Temple during the week, as the Owls extended their winning streak to 11 games with two conference victories. Fountain led all scorers with 23 points, while also adding nine rebounds and three steals, in a win against Houston. She followed that performance by once again leading all scorers with 19 points in a win over Memphis.
- Mary Gedaka (Fr., F) averaged 14.6 points and 8.6 rebounds in a 3-0 week for Villanova. Gedaka had 20 points and 10 rebounds in an overtime win at Butler on Friday evening. She followed that up with 18 points and eight rebounds, including six offensive boards, in a 72-47 win at Xavier.