Wyatt, Baron named big 5 players of the week
December 3, 2012
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - Khalif Wyatt of Temple and Alyssa Baron of Penn were named the Big 5 Men's and Women's Basketball Players of the Week, respectively, for their outstanding performances.
Wyatt helped the Owls to a 2-0 week by averaging 17 points and 3 assists per game. In a victory over Wagner, Wyatt netted 26 points on 9-of-16 shooting and drained 3-of-5 treys. He has been instrumental in helping Temple to their first 5-0 start since the 1987-1988 season.
Baron scored her 1,000th career point and finished with 15 points, 9 assists, and 5 rebounds in a Big 5 victory over La Salle. Baron’s milestone basket was a go-ahead 3-pointer midway through the second half that gave the Quakers the lead for good. She became the third fastest player in Penn history to reach 1,000 points.
Men’s Honor Roll
- Tyreek Duren (Jr. G) of La Salle scored 20 points and did not miss a shot from the field in the squad’s only game of the week, a win over Rider. Duren was 6-of-6 from the floor and also handed out six assists.
- Fran Dougherty (Jr. F) of Penn had his fourth double-double in five games in a win over Binghamton. He netted 11 points and grabbed a career-best 13 rebounds. He had seven points and seven rebounds in a setback at Penn State.
Women’s Honor Roll
- Laura Sweeney (Sr. F) of Villanova averaged 11.5 points and 7 rebounds per game in a pair of victories that included a Big 5 triumph over La Salle. Against the Explorers, Sweeney notched a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds.
- Chatilla van Grinsven (R-Sr. F) of Saint Joseph’s was dominant in a victory over St. Francis (PA), scoring a game-high 18 points and matching the single-game SJU record for rebounds with 21. She made 7-of-13 from the floor and also blocked four shots.
- Rateska Brown (So. G) of Temple came off the bench to score career-highs in a pair of victories. She netted 15 points against Bowling Green and followed that up with a 19-point performance in a win over Syracuse. She averaged 5.5 rebounds per game and shot 50% from the field.
- Brittany Wilson (Sr. G) of La Salle averaged a double-double with 23 points and 10 rebounds per game for the Explorers. She netted a game-high 24 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in Big 5 action against Penn and scored 21 of the Explorers’ first 29 points in a Big 5 setback against Villanova. Against Georgetown, she had 22 points and 15 rebounds.